The last posts I have made on this blog, have had a more optimistic and positive tone to them. Indeed, things were looking reasonably rosy; not that that lasted too long. More nonsense at work means that demons I had hoped had been well and truly buried, have now been dug up and reanimated – not at my doing I hasten to add! SO the progress and optimism of August has been given a good skellping and I find myself anxious and jittery – again!!!
Save to say the 1/224’s have not progressed as I had envisaged, nor have the other bits and bobs. To say I am frustrated and down is a mild understatement.
Mostyn is due out soon, a visit to Taunton over the weekend of the 25th and 26th of October. This makes the recent travails even more irritating. I suppose I should be thankful that I will any new stock finished but whence you get banana skins slipped under your radar like this????
Another summer has come to a dreich end and all those projects that have been hold started beckoning forth for attention.
Hence it came to pass, that the “Works” did stir once more…
Ambis etch silliness in action on more 12t standard BR vans, diagram 1/224 in this case.
Yes, more bl##dy vans but this show the last lap is well under way. I will admit that Mostyn is venturing out again in a few weeks time, a stimulus to get some stock finished once more.
Other projects are beckoning, something I have already mentioned here. They will appear soon, if only for my own tenuous hold on sanity. Arf!!!
After all the silliness getting the recent stock finished, I have been taking some time to look at what I am intending to do the next few weeks/months. With all my health travails of the past 18 – 24 months, it is actually nice to able to do so without any “banana skins” or mishaps looming.
First up, a number of other BR fitted van projects are in various stages of building – Diag. 1/208, 1/213 and 1/224’s to be exact. These van projects aim to be the last ones built for Mostyn as we should have more than enough by then – I hope!
You then have some BR steel sided medfits which I had forgotten about. With the ups and downs of the most recent builds of this type, I had neglected to remember a box with some half built in it. I am again planning that these will be the last of this type built for Mostyn. This sort of stock for the Engineers Department is now at a healthy level. Other stock beckons for this sort of work.
I have been getting together the research work for some brand new projects. The first project revolves around the various 5-Plank wagons still in use in Engineers stock during the late 1970’s. We are talking about stock with a 10-foot wheelbase here so no springing or compensation will be used. It is envisaged that two kits, together with various other spares and bits, are going to get a good deal of usage: 1: Cambrian Models C107 SR (Diag.1375) 5 plank Open Wagon.
This design was not just built for the Southern Railway but indeed, the LNER had a number produced to this basic design under various diagram numbers. Add to this, the diagram, 1/034, built by BR to this basic design and a jolly good time is envisaged… 2: Parkside Dundas PC02A BR (Diag.1/039, 1/044) 13 Ton Open Wagon.
Based on an LMS design, a whole gamut of variations in underframes and brakes exist here. Indeed, the LMS built diagram was still in use in 1977 so I can logically produce a few dog-eared auld relics to go with the other pre-nationalisation beasties either already built or in the planning stage.
The second project revolves around the humble BR Grampus. The Parkside Dundas kit and other parts will form the basis of the build, which will include both fitted [Diag.1/574] and unfitted [Diag.1/572] types. The question of springing this batch of wagons will be addressed in one way or other. The wheelbase of the Grampus means that springing this stock is essential, the 12-foot wheelbase leaves one with no choice!
Well that is my coming months planned out so lets get it on.
Mind, knowing me I shall get distracted by some other naughtiness as well along the way…
A recent post mused on getting the floors of ones wagons suitably finished. Well I did say that I was still noodling away so some more examples of graphic crud, filth and decrepit usage are here for your considered perusal…
Here above, some careful use of washes and pigments has been attempted so as to give the floor a sober, used look. A little at a time seems to work best.
The aim here was to achieve maximum scuzziness, a battered, bashed up floor together with rusty, crud caked sides. The pigments used were “fixed” using Tamiya paint thinners; this being a tip gleaned frae the military modelling world.
And to finish with:
By varying the type and amount of pigments used with this floor, I appear to achieved what I aimed for. That being a battered, rather uneven look. Again, the use of the Tamiya thinners has “fixed” the pigments to the floor. The care taken in applying has payed off, well I think so mind.
The gray hair by the way was removed. Not one of mine I might add!!!
Enough waffle from “The Works” for now.
Be seeing You